MANILA – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) expressed support for the United Nations’ (UN) appeal for a global ceasefire so that countries can focus on efforts to contain the coronavirus disease (Covid-19).
“We could not agree more with the UN (Secretary General Antonio Guterres’) call for a global ceasefire. The Philippine government has already declared a unilateral ceasefire with the NPA (New People’s Army) midnight of March 19, 2020. And the AFP, from its leadership down to the last element on the ground, adheres to it religiously,” AFP chief Gen. Felimon Santos Jr. said in a statement Tuesday.
As Covid-19 cases in the country exceeded the 500-mark and so far claimed 33 lives, Santos said this development has prompted them further to focus on this “virulent but unseen enemy”.
“We will press on and assist the government’s campaign to save our people from this deadly disease. We will not be deterred by the threat of attacks on our troops by this Communist Terrorist Group,” he added.
Santos said Filipinos during this critical period can depend upon the AFP to close ranks to man the barricades against Covid-19.
“We appeal to our fellow Filipinos to be heroes in saving lives by staying home,” he added. (PNA)