MANILA – The Department of Health (DOH) reported Sunday, 29 March 2020, 343 new cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country.
Sunday’s record was the biggest single-day rise so far in the number of COVID-19 cases which rose to 1,418 including three new fatalities that brought the number of deaths to 71.
If it was any consolation, seven (7) more patients were reported to have recovered from the disease, bringing the number to 42 of recoveries.
The surge in number of cases per day could be attributed to the increasing number of persons tested and processed and improved capacities by the DOH Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire said.
On Saturday, the health agency reported 272 cases.
Vergeire also called on the public to remain calm and continue cooperating with the government.
“Nakikiusap po ako muli sa lahat: tayo po ay magtulungan para masugpo natin ang COVID-19 sa lalong madaling panahon, at ‘di na madagdagan pa ang bilang ng mga nagkakasakit,” Vergeire said.
President Rodrigo Duterte declared a state of public health emergency and a state of calamity in the country, and placed Metro Manila and Luzon under “enhanced community quarantine” or lockdown.
In Luzon, the lockdown in Luzon will last until April 12 while in Metro Manila is slated until April 14.
However, officials said this could be lifted earlier or extended depending on the situation.
Congress has also granted Duterte special powers to respond to the outbreak through Republic Act No. 11469 (Bayanihan to Heal As One Act).
Worldwide, the coronavirus cases is closing in on the million mark at 663,740 with the United States at the forefront with 124,388 cases, followed by Italy (92,472) and China (81,394). (ia/sovereignph.com)