Wed. Apr 14th, 2021

MANILA – Department of Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Tuesday said his agency will start processing the complaint against Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III “as soon as possible”.

“I understand that today (Tuesday), the Prosecutor General will designate the state prosecutor who will handle Sen. Pimentel’s case. So I supposed that this state prosecutor, whoever he or she may be, will start the process immediately,” Guevarra told reporters.

Prosecutor General Benedicto Malcontento, meanwhile, said they “will issue (a) subpoena likely next week” to Pimentel along with a copy of the complaint in connection with the alleged violation of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.

Lawyer Rico Quicho filed a letter against Pimentel for alleged violation of Republic Act 11332 or the Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act which was signed into law last year.

Last month, the Makati Medical Center said Pimentel breached its infection and containment protocols when he went to the hospital with his wife who was to give birth through caesarian section.

The hospital said Pimentel’s visit “unduly exposed healthcare workers to possible infection” after it was found out that he tested positive for Covid-19. (PNA)

Leave a Reply