GENERAL SANTOS CITY – Officials have declared this city as cleared of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) as of Friday after its lone confirmed case tested negative for the disease.
In a press conference on Friday afternoon, Mayor Ronnel Rivera said the patient (PH 3669) turned out free of Covid-19 and is considered recovered based on the test results released by the Southern Philippines Medical Center laboratory in Davao City.
Rivera said the 59-year-old businessman was released Thursday evening from hospital isolation but would undergo home quarantine for another 14 days, based on the Department of Health (DOH) protocols.
He said the patient would be subjected to another test before he is cleared to go out in public.
“We are now considered zero cases (for Covid-19). So far so good. We have some concerns but nevertheless, our city is doing good in fighting the disease,” Rivera said.
The patient, who was confirmed positive of Covid-19 last April 7, was the eighth to recover from the disease in the region, based on DOH 12’s (Soccsksargen) situation report as of 5 p.m. Friday.
It said PH 3669 was in “stable condition and with one negative result or repeat Covid-19 test.”
The recovered patient was among the cockfighting aficionados from the city who were earlier identified by the local government to have attended the Araw ng Dabaw six-cock derby held at the New Davao Matina Gallera from March 6 to 12.
The City Health Office (CHO) had traced and subjected to close monitoring at least 59 other persons who joined the cockfight derby but none of them manifested any sign and symptom of Covid-19.
As of Friday, the CHO said a total of 28 suspected patients in the city have already tested negative while the laboratory confirmation for two others was still pending.
It said 98 individuals were still being monitored and undergoing strict home quarantine. (PNA)