Tue. Apr 13th, 2021

MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP) said detention areas are being reserved for violators of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) as part of intensified law enforcement operations amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.

“We will file a case against them and then we will reserve appropriate confinement areas to arrest all those (who) violate the guidelines,” PNP Chief, Gen. Archie Gamboa, said in a radio interview on Wednesday.

Gamboa said arrested violators could be detained for a longer time because of the number of cases being handled by courts.

“You will surely be detained and could be (in detention) for a longer time and you will be mixed with other offenders,” he added.

So far, the PNP has recorded a total of 136,000 ECQ violators.

Gamboa said the police would implement a strict ECQ in Metro Manila, Central Luzon, and in Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon (Calabarzon).

The PNP has earlier ordered the deployment of Special Action Force commandos to assist the local police units.

In particular, 116 SAF commandos were deployed to at least 10 areas in Metro Manila with a high number of ECQ violations.

He also called on local government units (LGUs) to pass ordinances imposing sanctions and penalties on quarantine violators.

Gamboa proposed community service as among these penalties.

“Baka madala na, hindi ka na kailangan pang arestuhin ulit (Maybe they would learn their lesson so they don’t need to be arrested again),” he added. (PNA)

Leave a Reply