Wed. Jan 19th, 2022

MANILA – Criminal charges have been filed against the police officer who reportedly shot and killed a former Philippine Army (PA) soldier near a quarantine checkpoint in Quezon City.

In a virtual press briefing Friday, Quezon City Police District (QCPD) director, Brig. Gen. Ronnie Montejo said Master Sgt. Daniel Florendo is facing homicide charges for the death of 34-year-old Winston Ragos.

“As of now, Police Master Sergeant (Daniel) Florendo was subjected for inquest proceedings. He was subjected to online inquest,” Montejo said.

Florendo, who is assigned at the Fairview Police Station, will also face administrative investigation. He voluntarily surrendered himself and his service firearm used in the shooting.

“We only based our decisions on the evidence that we have for the conduct of inquest proceedings. As of now, there is no established conspiracy so we are only focusing on the principal (suspect),” Montejo said.

The PNP Internal Affairs Service has already started its own investigation on the incident.

Lawyer Alfegar Triambulo, IAS Inspector General, said he ordered Brig. Gen. Gerry Galvan, chief of National Capital Regional-Internal Affairs Service for a motu proprio (on its own) investigation.

He said aside from Florendo, they will also look into the commander or immediate supervisor on the issue of command responsibility.

Meanwhile, National Police Commission (Napolcom) vice-chairman and executive officer Rogelio Casurao said they will also probe the shooting.

“The family expressed their preference that Napolcom should handle the investigation,” Casurao said in a TV interview.

At around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Florendo and four police trainees from the PNP Highway Patrol Group were manning a quarantine control point on Maligaya Drive, Barangay Pasong Putik when Ragos approached and shouted at the police trainees.

He was asked by the police to go home and stay inside as he was violating the ECQ but he ignored the authorities and identified himself as a former soldier.

Upon learning that Ragos was carrying a .38 caliber revolver loaded with ammunition inside his sling bag, Florendo drew his firearm and cautiously approached him.

The police officers ordered Ragos to yield peacefully but he allegedly attempted to pull out his handgun, prompting Florendo to disable Ragos who was rushed to Commonwealth Hospital but was declared dead at 5:57 p.m. of the same day.

Investigators recovered the sling bag and .38 caliber revolver loaded with four live ammunition without serial number. (PNA)

Leave a Reply