Sat. Apr 17th, 2021

MANILA – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has already received over 1,000 complaints against barangay officials regarding violations of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) rules, an official said on Tuesday.

“In the whole country, we already got more than 1,000 complaints, from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. We will send these to our DILG regional, provincial, city and municipal offices) all over the Philippines,” DILG Undersecretary for Barangay Affairs Martin Diño said in Filipino in a radio interview.

The complaints will be subject to validation before erring barangay officials are issued show cause orders.

Diño said they have started releasing show cause orders for erring barangay officials on March 17.

Reported violations include gambling and drinking liquor in public places, “quarantine pass for sale” scheme, and favoritism in the distribution of relief goods, among others.

“The thing Navotas Mayor Toby Tiangco mentioned (about) a barangay official who listed his name among beneficiaries of the SAP (Social Amelioration Program) was true. It’s a shame because those who belong to the ‘poorest of the poor’ should be prioritized,” he said.

Diño said 50 erring barangay officials nationwide have so far been issued with show cause orders.

He also assured the public that DILG is ready to receive complaints in all regional, provincial, city, and municipality offices, adding that they receive a minimum of 30 complaints daily.

Diño said that villages should allow the front-liners to pass the checkpoints with legitimate identification cards.

He said that village chiefs should assure that all of the qualified residents have received aid from SAP.

On Monday, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said LGUs have only until April 30 to completely distribute the emergency subsidy to 18 million families who are the intended beneficiaries under the SAP.

Año made the call as his office received reports that some low-income families have not yet received the SAP financial aid despite having filled up the SAP forms.

The second wave in May is focused on areas under extended ECQ and those who were “left out” during the first wave of distribution. (PNA)

Leave a Reply