MANILA — The number of coronavirus infections in the Philippines ballooned to 8,488 Thursday after the Department of Health logged in 276 new cases.
On Wednesday, the DOH reported 254 new cases.
Patient recoveries marched to 1,043 with the addition of 20 more patients who have survived and conquered the severe respiratory illness that is sweeping the world like a wildfire specially in the United States and many parts of Europe.
Fatalities increased to 568 after 10 more individuals succumbed to the killer disease with the world racing to find the potent cure.
DOH also announced it is aiming to conduct 8,000 tests a day for coronavirus starting the month of May.
Thus far, the agency only has a current testing capacity of 6,320 tests each day.
Areas still under the enhanced community quarantine are Metro Manila, Central Luzon except Aurora province, Calabarzon, Pangasinan, Benguet including Baguio City, Iloilo, Cebu, Bacolod City and Davao City.
They are to remain under enhanced community quarantine until May 15 to further contain the spread of the virus.
GCQ or general community quarantine, meanwhile, will be implemented in moderate- and low-risk provinces authorities said.
Worldwide, individuals infected with the deadly virus now totals 3,193,886 including 972,719 recoveries and 227,638 deaths.
The Top 12 countries with COVID-19 cases are as follows:
- United States: 1,064,353 cases; 126,325 recoveries; 61,504 deaths
- Spain: 212,917 / 108,947 /24,275
- Italy: 203,591 /71,252 / 27,682
- United Kingdom: 165,221 / no data / 26,097
- Germany: 161,539 / 123,500 / 6,467
- France: 128,442 / 48,228 / 24,087
- Turkey: 117,589 / 44,022 /3,081
- Russia: 106,498 / 11,619 / 1,073
- Iran: 93,657 / 73,791 / 5,957
- China: 84,369 / 77,610 / 4,643
- Brazil: 79,361 / 34,132 / 5,511
- Canada: 51,597 / 20,327 / 2,996 (ia/SovereignPH.com)