DAVAO CITY – Mayor Sara Z. Duterte on Monday said the city could expect another 13 individuals to be added to the list of 2019 coronavirus disease (Covid-19) patients here.
“This is the biggest number of confirmed cases since we started,” she said in a radio interview Monday. “These 13 are not yet reflected on our current data on confirmed cases.”
As of Monday, this city has 67 active Covid-19 cases, 92 recovered patients, and 25 deaths.
Mayor Sara said the additional cases came from Barangay 23-C where the city government rescued about 40 individuals last month who have been suspected to have the infection.
“We transferred them to our patient care center to protect and monitor them. At first, there is only one case, then followed by three, and now we already have 13 from their group,” Mayor Sara added.
However, the mayor clarified the individuals have already been housed in a patient care center in the city to contain any possible spread of the virus.
Following this development, Duterte quipped that Dabawenyos who willingly defy the movement restrictions under the general community quarantine (GCQ) should prepare their last will and testament as well as PHP2 million for hospital expenses.
The city government, she said, will just have to offer free cremation for violators.
She said a mass grave has also been prepared for Covid-19 casualties, in case local crematoriums are overwhelmed with dead Covid-19 patients.
“If you die, you will be cremated, if bodies will pile up, you go into the mass grave,” Duterte added.
Mayor Sara expressed her disappointment after noting that many residents who are neither workers nor buying essential goods went out on Monday since GCQ took effect on May 16.
Since the beginning of the community quarantine in March, the mayor has been warning Dabawenyos that the city government will not shoulder the medical expenses of people who acquired the coronavirus infection by violating the stay-at-home order. (IA/PNA)