MANILA – Confirmed cases of the coronavirus soared further to 14,669 after the Department of Health reported Tuesday (26 May 2020) 350 new patients.
It was however, good to note recoveries rebounded with 89 individuals that pushed the number of survivors to 3,412 in the country.
But the DOH recorded 13 additional deaths related to COVID-19 which brought the country’s fatality count to 886.
Active cases stood at 10,371 the DOH said adding that a total of 301,677 tests have already been conducted in the Philippines as of May 24.
Meanwhile, President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to make a decision this week on whether or not Metro Manila and other high-risk areas of COVID-19 transmission will shift to more relaxed general community quarantine.
COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus that, according to unconfirmed reports, originated in China’s city of Wuhan in Hubei province in late 2019.
The International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses named the novel coronavirus as SARS-CoV-2.
The virus causes mild symptoms such as fever and cough for most people but can cause serious illness such as pneumonia for others, especially older adults and people with existing health problems.
Coronavirus is one in a family of viruses whose surfaces have a crown-like appearance or corona.
Hence, the viruses are named for the spikes on their surfaces.
Globally, cases of the virus are now pegged at 5,495,061 and counting including 2,232,593 recoveries and 346,232 fatalities.
Countries hardest-hit by the killer and highly-contagious disease include:
- United States – 1,697,361 cases; 352,984 recoveries; 99,462 deaths
- Brazil – 374,898 cases; 153,833 recoveries; 23,473 deaths
- Russia – 353,427 cases; 118,798 recoveries; 3,633 deaths
- United Kingdom – 261,184 cases; (no date on recoveries); 36,914 deaths
- Spain – 235,400 cases; 150,376 recoveries; 26,834 deaths
- Italy – 230,158; 141,981 recoveries; 32,877 deaths
- Germany – 180,789; 162,648 recoveries; 8,428 deaths
- Turkey – 157,814; 120,015 recoveries; 4,369 deaths
- India – 145,380 cases; 60,491 recoveries; 4,167 deaths
- France – 145,279 cases; 65,199 recoveries; 28,432 deaths
- Iran – 137,724 cases; 107,713 recoveries; 7,451 deaths
- Peru – 123,979 cases; 50,949 recoveries; 3,629 deaths (ia/SovereignPH.com)