The SovereignPH.com Staff
MANILA – The Department of Health has on Thursday, 28 May 2020 chalked up what could be the biggest single-day number of COVID-19 cases since the outbreak began in the country.
The DOH confirmed 539 new cases as of 4p.m. Thursday that all but pushed the country’s total cases of the new pathogen to 15,588 with President Duterte set to announce in 24 hours whether to allow Metro Manila to transition into a more relaxed general community quarantine.
To make matters worse, Metro Manila led the way anew on cases, registering 330 cases out of the 539 count or 61% of the total pie for the day; Region 7 chipped in 55 (10%), other Regions, 99 (19%).
Filipino repatriates contributed 55 cases (10%) to complete the staggering 539 count of the day, Thursday.
It paled in comparison with the cases but there was a good number anew of recoveries, 92, for a total count of 3,598 list of survivors.
Seventeen (17) more deaths were recorded by the DOH that made the total count on fatalities to 921.
Active cases were pegged at 11,069 the DOH said.
Thursday’s figure surpassed the 538 single-day infections logged on March 31.
Worldwide cases now reached 5,690,182 and counting including 2,349,598 recoveries and 355,575 deaths.
Hardest hit countries of the new pathogen includes:
- United States – 1,734,794 cases; 371,846 recoveries; 101,700 deaths
- Brazil – 414,661 cases; 166,647 recoveries; 25,697 deaths
- Russia – 370,680 cases; 142,208 recoveries; 3,968 deaths
- United Kingdom – 267,240 cases; (no data); 37,460 deaths
- Spain – 236,769 cases; 150,376 recoveries; 27,118 deaths
- Italy – 231,139 cases; 147,101 recoveries; 33,072 deaths
- Germany – 181,895 cases; 162,727 recoveries; 8,529 deaths
- Turkey – 159,797 cases; 122,793 recoveries; 4,431 deaths
- India – 158,333 cases; 67,692 recoveries; 4,531 deaths
- France – 145,746 cases; 66,584 recoveries; 28,596 deaths
- Iran – 141,591 cases; 111,176 recoveries; 7,564 deaths
- Peru – 135,905 cases; 56,169 recoveries; 3,983 deaths
COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus that, according to unconfirmed reports, originated in China’s city of Wuhan in Hubei province in late 2019.
The International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses named the novel coronavirus as SARS-CoV-2.
The virus causes mild symptoms such as fever and cough for most people but can cause serious illness such as pneumonia for others, especially older adults and people with existing health problems.
Coronavirus is one in a family of viruses whose surfaces have a crown-like appearance or corona.
Hence, the viruses are named for the spikes on their surfaces.