Sat. Sep 25th, 2021

MANILA – Malacañang on Tuesday expressed hope that prosperity will continue in Hong Kong despite fresh protests triggered by Beijing’s new national security laws planned for the territory.

In a virtual presser, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque expressed hope that the 300,000 Filipinos in Hong Kong would comply with the local laws.

“The continued prosperity of Hong Kong will mean continued employment for Filipinos and because of our proximity, we hope that prosperity will continue and will even prosper so that there will be more opportunities for Filipinos to work and make a livelihood in Hong Kong,” he said.

Roque said Malacañang respects China’s sovereignty over Hong Kong.

“In the same way we do not want other countries to interfere in our affairs, that is purely a Chinese matter. We respect the exercise of China’s sovereignty over Hong Kong,” Roque said.

Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said that despite the prolonged social unrest and escalating street violence in Hong Kong, Filipinos there have insisted on staying to work there.

“Not a single OFW is asking us to bring them home. They are safe there,” Bello said.

Earlier, the Philippine embassy in Hong Kong issued an advisory for Filipinos regarding upcoming protest actions.

The embassy advised Filipinos to be vigilant against “flash mobs” that may happen without warning.

Filipinos were advised to refrain from going to places where a demonstration is happening.

They were also urged against wearing a black upper garment, as the color has been previously identified with protesters. (PNA)

Leave a Reply