Fri. Sep 17th, 2021

MANILA – Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno Domagoso on Wednesday urged parents to take the opportunity to enroll their children for the incoming school year 2020-2021 amid fears over the coronavirus pandemic.

The enrollment period started last June 1 and will continue until June 30, as announced by the Department of Education.

“Sa mga magulang hinihikayat ko kayo (to the parents, I encourage you), enrollment is ongoing from June 1 to 30, tuloy tuloy po yan wag nyo sayangin yung opportunity. Yung inyong pangamba ay amin naman pong dinidinig (this is ongoing. Do not waste the opportunity. We are listening to your concerns),” he said in a virtual briefing with presidents and administrators of different universities in the city of Manila.

Domagoso said his office is hearing out complaints and fears coming from parents regarding enrollment and sending their children to school to attend physical classes.

As a parent himself, Domagoso said he perfectly understands the concerns and fears of the parents who only are only thinking about the safety of their children in case they will be required to attend face-to-face classes.

“We informed them of the situation of Covid-19 in the city, our plans, what we have done and achieved as a city government and at the same time para mapakinggan din natin kung meron man silang mga hinaing or issues na pwedeng madinig ng kanilang siyudad (and to hear their concerns and issues).”

Domagoso also had a meeting with the local school board headed by DepEd Manila Schools Division Superintendent, Dr. Maria Magdalena Lim, to discuss the changes in the learning system for the coming school year and how to implement this while taking into consideration quarantine guidelines and protocols.

“We conducted planning on how to solve future problems. Di pa sya problema ngayon pero alam ko magiging (It’s not yet a problem for now but I know this will be a) future problem 3 months from now,” he added.

Domagoso said this is to ensure that children will continue to receive good education despite the pandemic.

“So far maganda ang aming diskurso at nakakita na kami ng ilang pondo na so far, nakahanap na kami more or less ng about PHP500 million. Kulang pa yun to address 275,000 kinder, elementary and high school students in the city of Manila (So far, we had a good discussion and we already identified some funds, and so far, we already have more or less around PHP500 million. That is not yet enough to address around 275,000 kinder, elementary and high school students in the city of Manila),” he said.

“Just give me 72 hours and I will try to find ways, para kung anuman ang magiging problema sa August 24 ay dapat na magawan ng aksyon ngayon pa lamang (so that whatever problem comes up on August 24 may be resolved now),” he added. (PNA)

Leave a Reply