By the SovereignPH.com Staff
MANILA – The Department of Health posted another huge number of recoveries, bolstering the hopes of many PH is finally gaining the upper-hand in the fight against the unseen enemy.
On Wednesday, 17 June 2020, 268 more recoveries were reported by the DOH, shoring up the survivor department registry to 6,820.
The big number of recoveries came on a day a single-digit count on the number of fatalities was recorded. There were only five (5) listed for the day for an overall tally of 1,108.
Meanwhile, the combined number of fresh (342) and late cases (115) amounted to 457 that pushed the national tally to 27,238.
The National Capital Region led the count on fresh cases at 144, followed by Region 7 (Central Visayas) with 101. Other regions reported 97.
On late cases, it was Region 7 that showed the way at 59 followed by NCR’s 29 and the 27 combined results from other regions.
Fresh cases are test results released to patients within the last three days while late cases refer to test results released to patients four (4) days ago and beyond.
COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus that, according to unconfirmed reports, originated in China’s city of Wuhan in Hubei province following a multi-nation military games in October 2019.
The International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses named the novel coronavirus as SARS-CoV-2.
The virus causes mild symptoms such as fever and cough for most people but can cause serious illness such as pneumonia for others, especially older adults and people with existing health problems.
Coronavirus is one in a family of viruses whose surfaces have a crown-like appearance or corona.
Hence, the viruses are named for the spikes on their surfaces.
Cases of the virus worldwide already getting dangerously close to eight (8) million at 7,941,404 including 434,796 deaths.
Among the hardest-hit countries by the virus are the following:
- United States – 2,177,377 cases; 679,161 recoveries; 118,618 deaths
- Brazil – 928,834 cases; 441,729 recoveries; 45,456 deaths
- Russia – 545,458 cases; 294,306 recoveries; 7,284 deaths
- India – 354,065 cases; 186,935 recoveries; 11,903 deaths
- United Kingdom – 298,136 cases; no data on recoveries; 41,969 deaths
- Spain – 244,328 cases; 150,376 recoveries; 27,136 deaths
- Italy – 237,500 cases; 178,526 recoveries; 34,405 deaths
- Peru – 237,156 cases; 125,205 recoveries; 7,056 deaths
- Iran – 192,439 cases; 152,675 recoveries; 9,065 deaths
- Germany – 188,382 cases; 173,070 recoveries; 8,910 deaths
- Chile – 184,449 cases; no data on recoveries; 3,383 deaths
- Turkey – 181,298 cases; 153,379 recoveries; 4,842 deaths
- France – 157,716 cases; 73,335 recoveries; 29,547 deaths
- Mexico – 154,863 cases; 116,178 recoveries; 18,310 deaths
- Pakistan – 154,760 cases; 58,437 recoveries; 2,975 deaths
- Saudi Arabia – 136,315 cases; 89,540 recoveries; 1,052 deaths
- Canada – 99,467 cases; 61,443 recoveries; 8,213 deaths
- Bangladesh – 94,481 cases; 136,264 recoveries; 1,262 deaths