By the SovereignPH.com Staff

MANILA — Special adviser for the National Task Force Against COVID-19 Dr. Tony Leachon has formally announced Wednesday, 17 June 2020, that he is no longer connected with the task force.

“It’s with deepest regret that I announce that I am not anymore the Special Adviser of National Adviser-COVID 19 effective today,” Leachon said on his social media post.

“I have my full respect for Sec. Charlie Galvez & we will remain as good friends. Lots of good memories. But I have to move on,” Leachon added.

According to GMA News’ Joseph Morong, Leachon was asked to resign after a series of tweets critical of the Department of Health’s (DOH) handling of the country’s coronavirus response.

Morong added that Leachon’s tweets on the “DOH handling of the COVID-19 pandemic did not sit well with Pres’l Spox Harry Roque and DOH Sec. Francisco Duque III @gmanews.”

Leachon has earlier lamented how the DOH has “lost focus in everything” in the country’s fight with the coronavirus disease.

“It’s a sad day as we anticipate the IATF recommendations on Monday to PRRD. Forgive me, I think the lead agency has lost focus in everything. Risk communication, priorities, data management, and execution of all plans,” Leachon said.

“Without a clear, cohesive and transparent communication campaign from DOH, the noise from an overly stressed-out and highly emotional general public, interposed with a varied mixture of political opinions and even potentially misleading facts, will sadly just drown out the truth,” the GMA News quoted Leachon as saying last week. (ia/SovereignPH.com)

Leave a Reply