By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora
MANILA – Philippine Ambassador to Singapore Joseph del Mar Yap said that 102 out of the 150 Filipinos who contracted the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in the city-state have recovered.
This leaves only 48 overseas Filipinos still in isolation wards or in the care of hospitals in the neighboring Southeast Asian nation, one of the hardest hit by the pandemic in the region.
“So far, we have 150 Filipinos who are Covid-positive here in Singapore but the majority of them, 102 of them, have recovered and have been discharged,” he said in the televised Laging Handa briefing.
Singapore has started to re-open its economy on June 2 after it ended its “circuit breaker” measures and embarked on a three-phased approach to resume activities safely.
Yap said the Philippine Embassy has since returned to full consular operations while still following strict health and safety measures.
The envoy said the city-state is expected to further relax its restrictions on June 19 as it shifts to phase two or “safe transition” post-circuit breaker.
Under said phase, activities related to retail, food and beverage, personal health and wellness, home-based services, sports and public facilities will resume. Small-group gatherings of up to five persons will be allowed.
“If things continue the way it is, they expect they’ll go into phase three which will be considered the new normal. Phase three will continue until such time that there will be a vaccine already available, and that will be the time they will lift phase three,” Yap said.
Based on latest data from the World Health Organization, Singapore has 40,969 confirmed Covid-19 cases, 26 of whom have died. (iamigo/PNA)