High-speed sewers at a garments factory.

MANILA – Over 90,000 workers were displaced nationwide in the first six months of 2020, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reported on Wednesday.

Based on preliminary figures in its Job Displacement Report, a total of 90,215 employees were displaced from 3,189 establishments from January 2020 to June 21.

Some 91 percent or 2,895 establishments reduced their workforce while the remaining 294 establishments or 9 percent reported permanent closure.

The National Capital Region (NCR) recorded the highest number of displaced workers at 45,046, followed by Calabarzon, 17,805; Central Luzon, 8,107; Cordillera Administrative Region, 5,136; Central Visayas, 3,992; Ilocos Region, 2,581; Northern Mindanao, 2,173; Davao Region, 1,010; Western Visayas, 932; Cagayan Valley, 929; Eastern Visayas, 906; Bicol Region, 520; Caraga Region, 483; Soccsksargen, 357; Mimaropa, 217 and Zamboanga Peninsula, 21.

The report was based on notices of shutdown and retrenchment submitted by employers to the DOLE regional offices,

It said based on the monthly breakdown, the month of June saw the highest number of reporting establishments which is equivalent to 57 percent, displacing 36,086 workers.

This is followed by the month of February with 371 reporting establishments (12 percent), covering 30,712 displaced workers nationwide.

In terms of major industry groups, most displaced workers were from the sectors of administrative and support service (31 percent or 28,192) and manufacturing (11 percent or 10,260).

Meanwhile, it said that a total of 104,163 establishments covering 2,824,992 workers are implementing flexible work arrangements (FWAs) and temporary closure (TC).

Of the number, a total of 23,855 establishments with 990,176 workers have implemented FWAs.

A total of 82,086 establishments with 1,954,419 workers resorted to TC.

Earlier, the DOLE said it is ready to assist workers who have lost their jobs due to retrenchment and closure of their companies.

It ensures that separation benefits are provided to affected employees and can also facilitate employment in available vacancies in the labor market. (PNA)

Leave a Reply