MANILA – The mobile phone of slain Manila senior prosecutor Jovencio Senados will undergo forensic analysis as part of the investigation on the incident, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Friday.
NBI Deputy Director Ferdinand Lavin said the victim’s phone is now with his family.
“We are coordinating with the family. Right now we understand that their limited cooperation because they are in the period of mourning. They are in a period of grief. So we have to access them very often. And full cooperation normally would come after the burial,” Lavin told reporters.
This came as the NBI is verifying earlier reports that the gunmen followed the victim’s car from Laguna to the place of the attack in downtown Manila.
“He (Senados) came from Laguna and took the on-ramp to the Skyway at Cabuyao. So there is that angle that we are looking into,” Lavin said.
Lavin said their investigation, so far, has not yielded instances of death threats on the 62-year-old victim.
Lavin also confirmed that initial investigation into the Mitsubishi Montero sport utility vehicle (SUV) used by the suspects showed it had bogus license plates attached during the attack.
“The numbers in the license plates belong to a Honda Brio owned by a woman in Real, Quezon. Our agents have paid her a visit and she insists she had not left the house on that day,” he added.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Tuesday ordered the NBI to investigate the killing.
In its report, the Ermita Police Station said Senados was onboard his red Toyota Yaris when armed men aboard a black sports utility vehicle (SUV) fired at them at the corner of Anakbayan St. and Quirino Avenue in Manila around 11 a.m. Tuesday.
Senados’ driver was unharmed and is cooperating with investigators. (PNA)