The first batch of the remains of OFWs that arrived last week. (Photo courtesy by Inquirer.net)

MANILA – The second batch of the remains of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) numbering to 71 is expected to arrive in the country on July 19, the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) announced on Saturday.

“Tomorrow the second chartered flight of the 71 deceased OFWs will arrive. (Labor) Secretary (Silvestre) Bello will lead the proceedings. We will honor them and provide assistance to their families,” OWWA chief Hans Leo Cacdac said during a Laging Handa briefing.

The majority of the arriving remains died of Covid-19.

“Of the total number, 40 of them are Covid-19-afflicted,” Cacdac said.

Meanwhile, he reported that close to 2,000 OFWs who contracted the virus have been given financial assistance.

“At present, we are approaching 2,000 Filipinos that were provided USD200 or PHP10,000 financial assistance those who are positive with Covid-19,” he said.

For Filipinos who have died of the virus, Cacdac said they will continue to provide aid to the families of the deceased OFWs.

“As for those who, unfortunately, succumbed to the virus, we continue to provide assistance to the families they left behind. We also assist them for the cremation or burial services on top of the death benefits, livelihood, and scholarship benefits that a deceased active owwa-member can obtain,” he added.

On July 10, a total of 49 OFW remains from Saudi Arabia were repatriated.

Out of the first batch of the bodies that were brought home, 20 died of Covid-19 while the 29 have died from natural causes.

With the 71 remains expected to arrive on Sunday, there are only 154 bodies that are waiting to be repatriated from the host country. (PNA)