Thu. Jun 24th, 2021

LOCKDOWN. The aerial view of San Julian town in Eastern Samar. The town was placed under lockdown on Wednesday (Aug. 19, 2020) after reported local transmission of coronavirus disease 2019. (Photo courtesy of San Julian local government)

TACLOBAN CITY – The town of San Julian in Eastern Samar was placed under lockdown on Wednesday after local authorities confirmed local transmission of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

Mayor Dennis Estaron, in a video statement, said five close contacts of its first two patients have been infected.

Two are close contacts of the first reported case, a 66-year-old woman with no travel history, and was admitted to a hospital here, and three are health workers assigned in its rural health unit and close contacts of the second patient, a 21-year-old female who returned home from Caloocan City.

The strict movement restriction from August 19 until midnight of August 21 will be dedicated to tracing direct contacts of the new confirmed cases and for disinfection activities.

“We are asking for the cooperation of all those who had exposure to these patients and likewise we ask for understanding to the public for the implementation of these health measures,” Estaron said.

As directed, all residents are prohibited to go out of their respective houses except for essential purposes.

The local government has set up checkpoints in its entry and exit points at San Isidro and Casuroy villages and will allow motorists bound for other destinations to pass through, including those with health emergency needs.

“Work in private and public will also be suspended during the lockdown period, except for workers in a medical, emergency, and peace and order,” Estaron said.

All the new confirmed cases are admitted in its local isolation facility, he added.

Meanwhile, the provincial health office (PHO) of Eastern Samar clarified two of the infected health workers are residents of Borongan City and will not be tagged as confirmed patients of San Julian.

To date, the town has confirmed a total of five cases, four of which are active while its first patient died at the Eastern Visayas Medical Center here on August 15.

The PHO said the patient died of heart attack and will not be included yet in the official death tally, pending the review of the Department of Health. (PNA)

Leave a Reply