MANILA – A party-list lawmaker on Monday slammed MORE Electric and Power Corporation for allegedly overcharging its consumers in Iloilo City.
In an interview, AKO BISAYA Party-List Rep. Sonny Lagon said several consumers have complained of overbilling power charges, amounting to around PHP20.9 million, which resulted from a potential breach of the Energy Regulatory Commission’s (ERC) 6.25 percent cap on excess system loss charges.
Lagon said rather than fixing its operational shortcomings, MORE Power has been pursuing “deceptive tactics”, even leading to silencing its consumers, and providing poor service, in general, since its asset takeover of the old power distributor, Panay Electric Co. (PECO), whose franchise expired last year.
“Wala silang sariling facilities pero pinayagan silang mag-takeover. Dapat nagkaroon muna sila ng konkretong plano bago sila pinayagang pumasok ng Iloilo City. At dahil hindi wasto ang kanilang serbisyo, nahihirapan ang mga kapatid nating taga-Iloilo City (They don’t have their own facilities and yet they were allowed to take over. They should have had a concrete plan before they were allowed to operate in Iloilo City. And since their service is not good, our fellow citizens in Iloilo City are suffering),” he said.
Lagon has filed a resolution seeking a congressional probe into the power situation of Iloilo City to prevent the adverse economic and social impact of MORE Power’s service in the area.
“My concern really is for the consumers in Iloilo to not be severely affected during this pandemic. The problem here is the long brownouts that are occurring,” Lagon said in filing the resolution.
“There is a need for the House of Representatives to look into this to ensure that the supply of electricity in Iloilo City will not be affected and that the people of Iloilo City shall not suffer,” he added. (PNA)