MANILA – The government is targeting October 1 for the reopening of hotels for staycation and leisure guests, Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said Tuesday.
The official, however, clarified that the date is still tentative as the agency has yet to finalize the guidelines.
“Target lang but hindi pa firm ang guidelines (It’s only a target since our guidelines are not yet firm),” she said in a text message.
Romulo-Puyat said the DOT is also waiting for the release of protocols on antigen testing by the Department of Health.
The Department of Tourism, in the past, would initially issue a memorandum circular before any tourism-related activity could resume under the new normal.
Last week, Romulo-Puyat told reporters that the guidelines on staycation shall include specific regulations on the maximum allowable number of persons in a guestroom as well as the use of ancillary services, such as restaurants and recreational areas.
To date, hotels under GCQ areas are only allowed to accept guests who have existing long-term bookings; distressed overseas Filipinos; healthcare workers; and other employees from exempted establishments.
Meanwhile, National Policy Against Covid-19 chief implementer Carlito Galvez Jr. on Tuesday said the NTF is making an arrangement with the DOT to use two-star and three-star hotels as isolation facilities leaving the four-star and five-star hotels for the resumption of staycation. (PNA)