COMPENSATION. Photo shows the damaged fantail of the wooden Filipino fishing boat Gem-Ver 1 after it was rammed by a Chinese vessel near Recto bank in June 2019. The Department of Foreign Affairs on Saturday (Sept. 19, 2020) said the Philippine government is set to engage the Chinese government soon to compensate affected 22 Filipino fishermen. (Photo from the Philippine Navy)

MANILA – The Philippine government, through the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), is set to engage the Chinese government soon to compensate the 22 Filipino fishermen whose boat was rammed by a Chinese vessel last year.

“The DFA confirms receipt of the amount of the claim from the Department of Justice. The matter will now be subject to diplomatic engagement between the two governments while advancing the claims and interests of the affected Gem-Ver fishermen,” Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Eduardo Meñez told reporters Saturday night.

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra earlier said his agency has submitted to the DFA a report on the estimated PHP12 million being sought by the crew of Gem-Ver 1.

The June 2019 incident involved the Filipino fishing boat Gem-Ver 1 and a Chinese vessel near the Recto Bank, within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.

It resulted in the sinking of the Filipino vessel, leaving its 22 Filipino crew floundering in the water for several hours until they were rescued by a Vietnamese fishing boat. (PNA)

Leave a Reply