Also taking note that 900 workers depended on the Skyway Extension project, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has lifted the work stoppage order (WSO) it slapped against project following an accident last month, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello 3rd said on Wednesday.
“In fact, the project is supposed to be completed with this year and I found that later that the contractor is employing more or less 900 employees. If I did not lift the order these workers, they will not be able to earn a living,” he said in a virtual forum.
Bello said the November 23 order has been lifted after the contractor and subcontractors have settled the fines amounting to P500,000 and complied with all occupational safety and health standards (OSHS).
“After consultation with our Regional Director and the Director of Occupational Safety and Health Center (OSHC), I decided to lift the WSO also with respect to the area where the accident took place,” he said in a virtual forum.
He said to prevent the accident from happening again “all the protocols are there, vehicles are no longer allowed, there were warning signs in place, among others.”
Bello said the lifting of WSO is “effective immediately” since the project is one of the major projects under the Build, Build, Build program of the government.
On November 23, the DOLE-National Capital Region (NCR) issued the WSO to EEI Corporation/Skyway Extension Project, in connection with the accident that killed a motorist and injured several others.The accident happened after a steel girder fell on six vehicles along the East Service Road in Cupang, Muntinlupa City on November 21, 2020. SOVEREIGNPH