Tue. May 11th, 2021
(Photo Courtesy: http://www.rappler.com)

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque on Thursday said the Philippines will be getting its supply of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccine starting next year from three manufacturers — Sinovac Biotech, Oxford-AstraZeneca, and Pfizer-BioNTech.

Roque said the earliest possible inoculation program in the country is expected to use China’s Sinovac vaccine, while Pfizer-BioNTech’s shots will come in the second or third quarter of 2021.

“The target remains that Sinovac will be the first that we can use to vaccinate our people and it will be in the first quarter of next year,” he said in a virtual Palace briefing.

Despite previous bribery allegations against Sinovac, Roque said Malacañang is confident Filipino officials will not get involved in a similar controversy concerning the eventual entry of coronavirus vaccines.

He said the country remains consistent that only “safe” and “effective” vaccines could secure approval from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

“Buong-buo po ang tiwala ni Presidente kay (FDA director general) Dr. (Eric) Domingo, so pagdating po diyan sa mga allegations, allegations on bribery, tingin ko po ay hindi mangyayari iyan sa Pilipinas (The President has full trust in Dr. Domingo, so I think those allegations on bribery won’t occur in the Philippines),” he said.

For the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 jabs, the country has secured some 2.6 million doses via a tripartite agreement with the private sector and the British-Swedish pharmaceutical company last month.

“(For Pfizer’s vaccine) we are also sure because the agreement with Pfizer was brokered by the DFA, no less than (Foreign Affairs) Secretary (Teodoro) Locsin (Jr.) and (US) Secretary (of State Mike) Pompeo. But Pfizer will come in the second and the third quarter,” Roque said. SOVEREIGNPH

Leave a Reply