Thu. May 13th, 2021
(Photo Courtesy:

Heavy rains caused by the onslaught of Tropical Depression (TD) Vicky has caused flooding in several towns and cities in Caraga (Region 13).

The City Disaster and Risk Reduction Management Council (CDRRMC) in Butuan City said it is also closely monitoring the water level at Agusan River.

As of 2 p.m. on Friday, the water at Agusan River remains far from critical level, although disaster management officials said it is expected to change amid the reported flooding in nearby provinces, particularly in Agusan del Sur.

The CDRRMC said it has already conducted a Pre-Disaster Risk Assessment (PDRA) on Friday afternoon to prepare for emergency situations arising from the effects of Vicky.

In Agusan del Sur, officials said rescue operations for residents in flooded areas are still ongoing in several towns as of Friday night.

“Most of the towns near the major rivers are affected by floods, specifically in the towns of San Francisco, Rosario, Bunawan, Prosperidad, and Talacogon,” Alfredo Plaza, the chief of information of the provincial government said late Friday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, Plaza said Gov. Santiago Cane ordered the activation of MDRRMOs in the province to provide emergency rescue operations, even as officials called on the residents living along low-lying and flood-prone areas to head to safer grounds.

“We have yet to determine the number of families affected. Right now, our priority is to rescue those who are affected by floods as water levels of major river systems here rise,” Plaza said.

He said the provincial capitol in Patin-ay, Prosperidad town, is also hit by flooding.

In San Francisco town, Agusan del Sur, Mayor Solomon Rufila ordered the suspension of all work in the public and private offices as floodwaters hit most of the major streets in the area.

In Bunawan, Agusan del Sur, the local government requested school officials to open their facilities to families who fled their flooded homes.

Meanwhile, officials in the neighboring town of Rosario reported that the national highway was no longer passable as of Friday afternoon. SOVEREIGNPH

Leave a Reply