Thu. Jan 21st, 2021
(Photo Courtesy: http://www.rappler.com)

National Policy Against Covid-19 chief implementer and vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. said on Saturday he expects to sign a deal with Pfizer before the end of the year for supply of vaccines for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).

“We will make sure that we can procure vaccines from Pfizer,” said Galvez. “Hopefully we can, because Pfizer is good since it has stringent authorization with the United Kingdom, United States, Singapore and Canada, which means that the Food and Drug Administration requirement in our country will be easy.”

He said he is only awaiting from Pfizer how much doses can be delivered to the Philippines.

Galvez emphasized he is the sole negotiator in the procurement of Covid-19 vaccines as authorized by President Rodrigo Duterte.

It is not clear also if Galvez’s current negotiations with Pfizer is complimentary to the effort being made by Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin.

Locsin said he is making another effort to purchase Covid-19 vaccines from Pfizer and has initiated talks with US Secretary State Mike Pompeo.

“Great phone conversation with Mike Pompeo last night. Lotsa laughs at others. But on the most serious note I asked him to help Babe and I get back even a fraction of the 10 million doses of Pfizer after someone dropped the ball. He’ll give it his best try. Babe’s securing Moderna,” Locsin said in over Twitter.

Babe is Jose Romualdez, the Philippine Ambassador to the US.

Locsin was the one who bared on Tuesday last week that “someone dropped the ball” or derailed a potential early deal with Pfizer to supply the country with 10 million doses of its Covid-19 vaccine that could be delivered to the Philippines in January 2021.

Senator Panfilo Lacson on Thursday said it was Health Secretary Franciso Duque 3rd who derailed the deal by not submitting a vital document to close it. Duque denies such. SOVEREIGNPH

Leave a Reply