Sun. Sep 19th, 2021

At least 25,226 workers lost their jobs in January this year, according to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) on Sunday.

The DOLE said the affected workers were from 1,421 establishments that have filed notices of shutdown and retrenchment since the start of the current year.

Also, 91 percent or 1,279 establishments decided to reduce their workforce while the remaining 9 percent or 142 establishments reported permanent closure.

The DOLE said the number of workers who lost their employment in January this year was significantly higher compared to the same month of 2020, which is not surprising because the coronavirus disease 2019 made its presence felt in the Philippines from February last year.

(PHOTO: (PHOTO: (PHOTO: https://businessmirror.com.ph/)

“The total number of displaced workers in January 2021 increased by 19,741 or 78 percent nationwide compared to the same period in the previous year,” DOLE said.

It added that notable increases were observed in the National Capital Region and Central Visayas that reported 15,324 and 3,445 workers displaced, respectively.The good news is based on the online Establishment Report System (ERS) data, a total of 2,799 establishments with 108,089 workers implemented flexible work arrangements and temporary closure in the month of January. SOVEREIGNPH

Leave a Reply