BUKIDNON, Feb. 18 — Senator Christopher “Bong” Go said that he has called the attention of Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III for the establishment of a snake bite center in Bukidnon as part of medical services expansion in its far-flung areas.
Go said that the government is now considering the snake bite center after residents lamented increased incidence necessitating victims to be transported as far as Malaybalay and Cagayan de Oro City for treatment.
Many patients die along the way due to the long travel.
“Nakausap ko kagabi si Secretary Duque at pinag-aaralan nila ang paglalagay ng strategicsnake bite centers,” Go said.
Reports of individuals being attacked by snakes have become frequent in Mindanao.
In 2019, alarms were raised after dozens of king cobras were killed or found dead in the country as documented by the Philippine Center for Terrestrial and Aquatic Research in several provinces, including Bukidnon.
Just last month, a baby reportedly died in San Isidro, Davao del Norte after being bitten by a snake. In 2020, a four-year-old girl died after being attacked by a king cobra in Barangay Malagos, Baguio District, Davao City.
A farmer in Davao del Sur was also killed in 2019 due to snake bites. Post-mortem examination revealed that the bite marks on the victim’s left forearms and left portion of the body may have been inflicted by a king cobra.
While awaiting the establishment of the snake bite centers, Go urged residents to seek assistance from Malasakit Centers located at Northern Mindanao Medical Center and JR Borja General Hospital, both in nearby Cagayan de Oro City for their medical concerns.
“May Malasakit Center naman tayo sa Cagayan, dalawa na yan. Maglalagay din tayo sa Bukidnon at dagdag sa Davao din po. Sasaluhin po namin kayo kung kailangan kayo ma-admit,” Go assured.