Wed. Aug 4th, 2021

The Philippines will start barring the entry of travelers from India from April 29 to May 14 amid the surge of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases there, Malacañang said Tuesday.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said that those who will be covered by the travel ban are those who are coming from India and those with travel history to India within the last 14 days.

“President Rodrigo has approved the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) to ban travellers, including Filipinos, coming from India,” Roque said in a recorded message sent to reporters in Filipino.

He added the President may expand the travel ban from other countries that have reported cases of the new Covid-19 variant as based on the recommendation of the Department of Health (DOH) and the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. earlier on Tuesday recommended a travel ban on visitors from the entire Indian subcontinent amid the reported “double mutant” variant of the Covid-19 in India.

“I have suggested to the IATF that a travel ban be imposed on all our good friends in the entire Indian subcontinent; it’s not personal; it’s for everyone’s safety for now; we’ll be able to be together again and we can recall the time when we had to be apart to live,” Locsin said in a tweet.The Indian subcontinent covers India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bhutan, and the island nations of Sri Lanka and Maldives. SOVEREIGNPH

Leave a Reply