The Department of Health (DOH) said on Saturday that three more people have tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) variant from India.
Apparently, the three were those who had close contacts with the Filipino who came from India and was tested positive for the Covid-19 variant from that country.
The DOH previously reported that two males from Oman and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) caught the B.1.617 Covid-19 variant from India.
“As for case number 2, which is the 58-year-old male from UAE, we have 32 verified close contacts in the airplane and three of them are positive (for Covid-19),” DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in the Laging Handa briefing.
The patients’ samples have been sent to the Philippine Genome Center to determine if they caught the Indian variant, Vergeire added.
“As for the two, we are still trying to locate them. Twenty-eight of the 32 close contacts are negative but we’re also verifying the data of one passenger because they are not in the Covid-KAYA database yet,” she explained in Filipino.
Covid-KAYA is a platform used by health care workers to collect and share Covid-19 cases with the DOH.
For the India variant-positive OFW from Oman, Vergeire said the DOH identified six close contacts, three of whom already tested negative.The other three are still being located as their names on the passengers’ manifest do not match the data that authorities have on the database.