Fri. Jun 25th, 2021

Government interventions for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) like the lockdowns/quarantines and vaccination roll out is driving down cases from the virus, according to the Department of Health (DOH).

In his report to President Rodrigo Duterte, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said the country’s two-week growth rate last week fell to negative 24 percent from negative 22 percent while the average daily attack rate (ADAR) dropped to 5.95 cases per 100,000 population.

“And the National Capital Region (NCR) is still under the classification of moderate risk, where the two-week growth rate has gone down to negative 46 percent from negative 35 percent,” he said in Filipino.

Duque also reported that the healthcare utilization rate in the Philippines had decreased from 54 percent in April to 46 percent as of May 16.

He noted a 23-percent drop in the healthcare utilization rate for NCR – from 68 percent last month to 45 percent as of May 16.

He said that the ICU bed utilization rate in the NCR has dropped from 88 percent to 56 percent.

The NCR Plus was put under general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions from May 15 to May 31 in a bid to curb the virus.

Duque encouraged local government units (LGUs) to continue enforcing localized or granular lockdowns to contain the spread of Covid-19.

Despite the improving situation in Metro Manila, Duque has observed an uptick in Covid-19 infections in 10 regions nationwide.

These regions include Mimaropa, Bicol Region, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Davao Region, Soccsksargen, Caraga, Zamboanga Peninsula and Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).

Meanwhile, President Duterte said the government should continue to improve its Covid-19 programs in the face of new coronavirus variants.

With the emergence of more dangerous Covid-19 variants, the chief executive said the country must prepare for the worst.

“If at all, and with the advent of new variants, it is good to prepare for a more serious attack,” Duterte said.

According to the President, the Philippine government is maintaining and recalibrating its preparedness in response to the threats posed by the mutated variants. SOVEREIGNPH

Leave a Reply