Sun. Jul 25th, 2021

President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to receive his second dose of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccine, Malacañang said on Friday.

(Photo Courtesy: PTV News)

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque made the clarification after Presidential Security Group (PSG) commander, Brig. Gen. Jesus Durante III, said the President has been fully vaccinated.

“Gen. Durante was mistakenly informed by his medical staff that a second dose was already administered to the President. Further, Gen. Durante has admitted, apologized and rectified his earlier remarks. We hope this clarifies the matter,” he said in a press statement.

In an interview with PTV-4 earlier on Friday, Durante said the President has already received the second dose of the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) vaccine developed by China’s pharmaceutical firm Sinopharm.

Duterte got his first Sinopharm jab on May 3. At that time, Sinopharm has yet to secure an emergency use authorization (EUA) for the administration of its Covid-19 vaccines.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Sinopharm, China’s state-owned pharmaceutical company, an EUA early this month.

Initially, FDA only issued a compassionate use license for the inoculation of 10,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine to PSG members.

In the same interview, Durante said the PSG would continue implementing strict health and safety protocols even after Duterte already received the second Covid-19 vaccine shot.

He said the presidential security guards’ resolve is to keep Duterte safe to enable him to serve and protect the country until his remaining days in office.

Leave a Reply