Sat. Jul 24th, 2021

President Rodrigo Duterte will visit Sulu in wake of the Philippine Air Force (PAF) C-130 plane crash that killed 47 soldiers and three civilians, Malacañang said on Monday.

(photo courtesy: http://www.pna.gov.ph)

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte is scheduled to visit some of the victims in the plane crash, but did not give further details.

“It looks like the President will drop by Zamboanga to visit some of those in the hospital,” he said partly in Filipino in a Palace press briefing.

Roque said the President extends his condolences to the families of those killed in the plane crash.

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte extends his condolences to the family of those killed in the C-130 plane crash in Sulu. Not only the Armed Forces, but the whole country is mourning in this sad incident,” he said in Filipino.

He said Duterte also hopes for the speedy recovery of those who were injured in the accident.

We pray that the Lord embraces the grieving families to alleviate their grief and give them the strength to overcome this ordeal. While we also pray for the speedy recovery of the survivors,” he added in Filipino.

The PAF C-130 plane that figured in the accident was one of the two aircraft purchased from the United States (US) last January.

Asked if Duterte ever expressed anger over the US for providing the Philippines with supposed second-hand equipment, Roque said he has yet to pass judgment pending results of the investigation.

“So far, he has only expressed extreme sadness over the victims. He has not released statements like that as of this moment),” he said partly in Filipino.

Armed Forces chief of staff Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said Duterte would be briefed further on the C-130 crash upon his arrival.

Sobejana said the remains of soldiers who perished in the crash are on their way to Zamboanga City onboard a Navy vessel before they will be transported to Northern Mindanao where most of the fatalities came from.

“I sympathize to the highest level to the families of those of perished,” Sobejana told Radio DXMS in Cotabato City in an interview Monday morning.

He assured that the government is attending to the needs of all who were injured in the mishap, one of the worst in Philippine military history.

Sobejana said the three civilians who died in the incident were on the ground when the C-130 Hercules cargo plane crashed and exploded near their homes in Sitio Amman, Barangay Bangkal, Patikul. Four other civilians were injured.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana earlier said an investigation on the mishap is currently ongoing.This accident happened less than two weeks after an S-70i Black Hawk Utility helicopter crashed in Capas, Tarlac during a night flight training, killing six people on board.

Leave a Reply