The ruling Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) has come up with the initial list of its senatorial candidates for 2022, all of whom are Cabinet members.
PDP-Laban Vice President for the Visayas, Eastern Samar Governor Ben Evardone, identified in a television interview the prospective senatorial candidates as:
1- Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Chairman Benhur Abalos
– Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Martin Andanar
– Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission Chairman Greco Belgica
– Department of Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III
– Department of Information and Communications Technology Secretary Gregorio Honasan II
– Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles
– Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo
– Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque
– Department of Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade
– Department of Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar
Evardone said President Rodrigo Duterte has discussed the initial list with some party leaders, including him. Duterte is the PDP-Laban chairman.
The initial list of the PDP-Laban comes after the party held an assembly last Saturday in Clark, Pampanga that saw the election of Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi as its president, replacing Senator Manny Pacquiao.