Hotlines between North and South Korea that were severed in June last year by Pyongyang were reestablished on Tuesday, restoring communications between the two Koreas in a move both sides called a positive step in improving a fractured relationship.
The communications lines between government liaisons and both countries’ militaries were restored at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, South Korean presidential spokesman Park Soo-hyun said, as the result of correspondence between North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jee-in.
“The two leaders have exchanged personal letters several times since April to communicate about the issue of restoring relations between the two Koreas, and in the process, they agreed to restore the communication lines that had been cut off,” Park said in a statement.
“The restoration of the inter-Korean hotline is expected to have a positive effect on the improvement and development of inter-Korean relations in the future,” he said.
North Korea acknowledged the resumption of the hotlines on Tuesday with a report in state-run media.
“Now, the whole Korean nation desires to see the [N]orth-[S]outh relations recovered from setback and stagnation as early as possible,” Korean Central News Agency reported.