The government is on track in its commitment to provide a monthly allocation of 4 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine to the National Capital Region (NCR) and other high risks provinces, Secretary Carlito Galvez Galvez Jr., chief implementer of the National Task Force (NTF) against Covid-19, assured Thursday.
Galvez, who is also the vaccine czar, welcomed the arrival of 2 million doses of government-procured Sinovac vaccines, at 7:20 p.m. at the Bay 49 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 2 in Parañaque City.
Half of the newly delivered vaccines will be given to NCR, Metro Cebu, Metro Davao, Bulacan, Batangas, Cavite, Laguna, Pampanga, and Rizal — collectively known as NCR Plus 8 bubble, and the rest will go to high-risk provinces nationwide, he said.
“We are on target with our commitment, so far we already have 7 million doses and once we receive another 5 million doses next week, we will have a total of 12 million doses. So with that, we can see that we can deploy more than 4 million doses in NCR,” Galvez said in an interview partly in Filipino.
As the government is expecting more deliveries within this month, Galvez assured an equitable distribution of vaccines nationwide.
But, in the meantime, the government will focus the vaccination program on the areas that are high-risks to Covid-19 infections, he said.
“We are racing against time, we need to vaccinate [more] as soon as possible, so at least we could really protect our economic interests and social risks at the same time,” he said partly in Filipino.
Galvez noted the need to prioritize various highly urbanized centers such as Metro Manila, Metro Cebu, and Metro Davao, in the vaccination program, to prevent the worst-case scenarios posed by the pandemic, particularly with the presence of coronavirus Delta variant.“We see that it has huge magnitude and its effect is catastrophic to our economy and livelihood. At the same time, it will compromise the safety of the majority of the people,” he said in Filipino.