The faction within the ruling Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP–Laban) led by Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi has asked Senator Manny Pacquiao to lead its senatorial line up for the 2022 polls.
“Today po si Secretary Cusi reached out to Senator Pacquiao. In fact, there are private individuals na nire- reach out. Because we are offering Senator Pacquiao to lead the senatorial lineup of PDP-Laban and rise above politics,” said Melvin Matibag, acting secretary-general of PDP-Laban in a television interview.
Cusi is the president of PDP-Laban.
Pacquiao said after losing to Cuba’s Yordenis Ugas in their world title fight in Las Vegas over the weekend that he will reveal his political plans in September.
Also on September 8, the PDP-Laban will formally declare the tandem of Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go and President Rodrigo Duterte and as the party’s presidential and vice presidential bet for the 2022 polls.
The following are also part of the PDP-Laban’s initial list of senatorial candidates:
– House Deputy Speaker Rodante Marcoleta
– Department of Information and Communications Technology Secretary Gregorio Honasan
– Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo
– Department of Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade
– Department of Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar
Pacquiao was ousted as PDP-Laban president last July after having a rift with the faction led by Cusi.