Six local government units (LGUs) in Metro Manila have met the deadline for the payout of cash assistance to low-income beneficiaries affected by the recent enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año said on Wednesday.
In a phone interview, Año said these include Quezon City, Manila, Caloocan City, Pasig City, Malabon City, and Navotas City.
Año said as of Wednesday morning, 95 percent of a total of P11.2 billion fund for the emergency cash assistance or P10.63 billion have been distributed to some 10.6 million eligible beneficiaries.
“For those who have not yet finished the aid distribution, they requested an extension and we are granting them 10 more days or until September 10,” Año said in Filipino.
He said some LGUs reported incidents where employees and beneficiaries contracted Covid-19, prompting the suspension of payout activities in some of their areas of jurisdiction.
“Metro Manila’s high Covid-19 positivity rate prompting an increase in cases has been a challenge for LGUs. The qualified beneficiaries did not show up for some other reasons and because of the Delta variant. We also cannot rush it because some areas have a community transmission and other beneficiaries cannot leave their homes yet),” Año added in Filipino.
In a Laging Handa briefing on Wednesday, DILG spokesperson, Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said this is so far the fastest pace of cash distribution since the government started the payout of the emergency cash assistance.
Malaya also explained that the LGUs were given the authority to identify who among their constituents who appealed before their respective grievance and complaints committee can avail of unclaimed cash aid.
“There were some who were involved in a scam like what happened in Pasig (City) – who are non-Pasig residents but claimed to be from Pasig,’’ Malaya said in Filipino.
He said that there was also an instance where a family claimed cash aid twice using the identities of their parents.