Long queues greeted the resumption of the Commission on Election (Comelec) voter registration on Monday in the National Capital Region (NCR) that is still under the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).
Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said many would-be voters have lined up in many Offices of Election Officer (OECs) in the NCR.
“The first day of registration in NCR while under MECQ saw a heavy turnout of registrants throughout most of NCR,” he said in a statement. “Long queues formed outside many offices.”
Despite the strong turnout, Jimenez said the applicants were compliant with minimum health protocols amid the threat of the Covid-19, including the more contagious Delta variant.
Jimenez said numerous Comelec offices did not have a cutoff and are ready to accommodate over 300 applicants for the 2022 national and local elections.
He said Comelec’s decision not to extend the nationwide voter registration beyond September 30 will remain despite the heavy turnout.
“Despite the strong turnout of applicants, however, there is still no indication of a possible reversal of the decision not to grant an extension,” he said.
Last week, the poll body decided to resume voter registration in areas under MECQ.
On Monday, Malacañang said the quarantine classification in Metro Manila will be downgraded to regular general community quarantine (GCQ) from Sept. 8 to 30.
However, granular or localized lockdowns will be piloted in the NCR particularly in areas with high Covid-19 cases during the period.