President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the recommendation of experts that the use of face shields will no longer be required outdoors.
In his pre-recorded public address on Wednesday, Duterte said he approved the recommendation that face shields be used only in closed, crowded and close contact areas.
The recommendation was made by a technical advisory group and medical experts.
“I told them no matter how small it is contributing factor to avoid Covid, then it is okay. But I was informed by the technical working group and medical experts, that face shields can be removed outdoors. No more face shields outside,” Duterte said partly in Filipino.
“The limitation is face shields should be used in 3Cs – crowded, closed (areas), and close contact. Those three only where face shield is a still a must” he added partly in Filipino.
It was in December last year that the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) required the use of both face shields and face masks outside of residence.
However, Duterte in June this year ordered the public to wear face shields only in hospitals.
Duterte later decided to keep the IATF-EID’s policy on the mandatory use of face shields in public spaces, given the presence of the more infectious Delta coronavirus variant.
A recent study by the Lancet, a leading international medical journal, found that wearing a mask can decrease the risk of catching Covid-19 by 78 percent.The result of the study also showed that the risk of transmission is cut by 85 percent if a face shield is worn in addition to a face mask.