Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday said P15.9 billion worth of benefits has so far been released to medical front-liners.
“Included here are the Covid-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) sickness and death compensation as of October 6, and special risk allowance as of October 8,” Duque reported to President Rodrigo Duterte during the Talk to the People.
Duque noted that about P617.2 million have been released to around 48,000 healthcare workers from the third and fourth batches of special risk allowance worth P1.3 billion.
The beneficiaries of Covid-19 sickness and death compensation have increased from last week by 375 to 25,495.
The Department of Health (DOH) has distributed about PHP604.6 million funds for Covid-19 sickness and death compensation to date.
“You can be assured that we will continue to support the healthcare workers as ordered by the President,” Duque said in Filipino.
He added that the DOH continues to raise funds to ensure that healthcare workers receive the benefits they deserve.
On October 8, Duque asked Duterte to issue an executive order that would allow the DOH to release the allowances for meals, accommodation, and transportation (MAT) of healthcare workers who had not received the benefits under the Bayanihan to Recover as One Act (Bayanihan 2), which expired on June 30 this year.
The MAT allowances which amount to P2.51 billion would be given to 423,000 healthcare workers.
The allowances covered the period September to December 2020.