The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has so far received some 91 petitions seeking to cancel the Certificates of Candidacy (COCs) of national position aspirants in the 2022 national and local elections, the poll body spokesperson James Jimenez said on Wednesday.
“Too many, it’s more than. These are all different positions for the national level only. Ninety-one petitions for cancellation have been filed so far,” he said in a virtual press briefing on Wednesday.
“But the dockets of the division are full because you are also looking at other cases, not just cancellation,” he added.
On Tuesday night, Jimenez confirmed that the petition for cancellation of COC filed against presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has been raffled to the Comelec’s second division.
“As I’ve said yesterday the case has been raffled to the second division but it has yet to issue the summons. I think probably today or tomorrow the summons will be issued. After summons have been issued, they will have five days to file an answer,” he said.
After an answer has been filed, he said the poll body issue a notice for a pre-conference meeting.
“It will be attended by the counsel of the respondent and the petitioner. After that they will be given three days to submit their respective memoranda…and the case will be submitted for resolution,” he added.
Jimenez said the case of Marcos, for now, only involves the submission of documents.
“They only need to submit documents unless someone asks for a hearing,” he said.
Meanwhile, Jimenez said they are ready to accept those who will submit their statements of withdrawal on Saturday.
The submission will be accepted from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Nov. 13 to 15 for national and local positions.
He, however, said three aspirants for national positions have so far submitted their statements of withdrawal.
He said senatorial aspirants Manuel L. De Castro and Nur-Ana I. Sahidulla, and vice presidential candidate Raquel W. Castillo submitted their statements of withdrawal.
Comelec-Education and Information Department Director Elaiza Sabile-David said several petitions have also been filed to declare candidates as nuisance.
She added that the data only covers national positions.
“For the position of president, we have 82 petitions that have been filed before the Comelec; 15 for vice president; and 108 for those who filed for the position of senator,” she said during the Laging Handa briefing Wednesday.