Wed. Dec 8th, 2021

The final list of candidates for the May 9, 2022 elections may be out in the middle of next month, an official of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Thursday.

(Photo Courtesy: Manila Bulletin)

“So we are expecting the final list of candidates sometime in December, the earliest that will come is in the middle of December,” said Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez in a press briefing.

At the same time, the poll body official added that they have been screening the aspirants to spot the nuisance.

“After November 15 that is when Comelec really starts cracking down on the list because everyone who is getting out of the list voluntarily has already gotten out. So all that remains are those who really want to run for office. Now we will find out at that point who among them is a nuisance,” he said.

The deadline for the withdrawal and substitution of candidates for next year’s polls is on November 15.

“We have already screened the applicants…I mean the aspirants. We have already pre-screened them. We already have a list of those who will be charged. In fact, the others have already been charged,” the poll body spokesperson added.

Meanwhile, Jimenez reported that motu proprio cases (nuisance) have been filed for over 70 aspirants.

“I think right now more than 70 have been filed. Across the board. Cases were filed for being nuisance candidates. The outcome of the case will be a declaration of nuisance. That’s about it, no penalty for it,” the Comelec official added.

Aspirants who have filed their certificates of candidacy (COC) for national positions early last month were 97 for president, 28 for vice president, 174 for senator. 

Leave a Reply