An education official on Monday said the pilot implementation of limited in-person or face-to-face (F2F) classes in 28 public schools in the National Capital Region (NCR) “went smoothly”.
In a Laging Handa public briefing, Department of Education (DepEd) Undersecretary Nepomuceno Malaluan said the 28 public schools in Metro Manila are part of the additional 174 schools given go signal by the Office of the President to conduct pilot in-person classes nationwide.
“NCR is very important because we know the character of NCR as highly urbanized and congested areas. So this is very important, and so far, it has been so smooth,” Malaluan said in Filipino.
“I’ve been monitoring, and we have not received any adverse report as of now,” he added.
The selected schools that conducted limited F2F classes in the NCR include: Andres Bonifacio Elementary and Bagumbong Elementary in Caloocan City; Comembo Elementary School (Makati City); Santiago Syjuco Memorial Integrated Secondary School (Malabon City); Amado T. Reyes and Renato R. Lopez Elementary Schools (Mandaluyong City); Aurora A. Quezon Elementary and Ramon Q. Avancena High School (Manila City); St. Mary Elementary School and Tañong High School (Marikina City); Putatan Elementary School and Tunasan National High School (Muntinlupa City);
Bangkulasi Senior High School and Filemon T. Lizan Senior High School in Navotas City; Don Galo Elementary School and La Huerta Elementary School (Parañaque City); Padre Zamora Elementary School (Pasay City); Ugong National High School and Pasig Elementary School (Pasig City); Bagong Silangan Elementary School and Payatas B Elementary School (Quezon City); Pedro Cruz Elementary School (San Juan City); Ricardo P. Cruz, Sr. Elementary School and Sen. Renato “Compañero” Cayetano Memorial Science & Technology High School (Taguig City); Roberta de Jesus Elementary School and Tagalag Elementary School (Valenzuela City); and Las Piñas National High School and Las Piñas City National Senior High School – Manuyo Campus (Las Piñas City).
Citing the start of Christmas break on Dec. 20, Malaluan said the 28 NCR public schools would be the last to implement the limited in-person classes.
“The participating schools in the pilot run will submit their assessment using [a] monitoring and assessment tool and the consolidated reports will be submitted to the Office of the President before the year ends,” he said in Filipino.
Earlier, the DepEd recommended an “expanded phase” by the first quarter of 2022.
DepEd Secretary Leonor Briones instructed the regional directors to advise all public and private schools to prepare using the safety assessment tool from the DepEd and Department of Health (DOH).
On Nov. 15, limited in-person classes started in 100 public schools nationwide. A week after, some 18 private schools pushed through with their pilot face-to-face classes.