The camp of presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Friday rejected Vice President Leni Robredo’s challenge to a debate, saying it will never happen.
“The challenge against presidential frontrunner Bongbong Marcos will never happen for a number of reasons. And Mrs. Robredo knows these reasons,” Marcos Jr’s spokesman Vic Rodriguez said in a statement in Filipino.
Rodriguez said that the two presidential hopefuls have differing beliefs in the way they communicate with the public.
He said Marcos’ camp engages in positive campaigning and addresses the public directly to impart its message of unity, while the “yellow” camp resorts to “negativity, deceit, and smearing.”
He also stressed the need for the public to see the candidates campaign “calmly” to bring them relief amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“In this time of economic crisis brought about by the pandemic, perhaps it would bring great relief to the public to see a calm way of campaigning and candidates aspiring to rule the country not resorting to mudslinging,” he said in Filipino.
Earlier on Friday, Robredo challenged Marcos to a debate, as it would provide an avenue for the public to ask him questions, particularly regarding the many controversies surrounding him.
Robredo noted that Marcos is the only presidential candidate who has not participated in debates with his rivals.
“I am inviting Mr. Bongbong Marcos to a debate in order to give the public a chance to face him and ask questions regarding the controversies surrounding him,” she said in Filipino.